My purpose is to live consciously and courageously in the now moment, to resonate with love and compassion, and to leave this world in peace. My overall goal is to take good care of myself and live my life to the fullest. Developing self-compassion and achieving my health and wellness goals has meant overcoming many barriers by use of skillful means.
Health is the absence of illness, injury or disease. But wellness is much more. Wellness is practicing health-promoting behaviors to achieve your best possible health. The wellness journey starts with learning how to love yourself.
Chinese philosopher Laozi (c 604 bc – c 531 bc) shared this wisdom in the Tao Te Ching, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step“.
Research indicates people who score high on measures of self-compassion i.e. people who treat themselves kindly: tend to be more motivated, less depressed, less anxious, happier and more optimistic. The research suggests that giving ourselves a break and accepting our imperfections may be the first step toward better health.
Whether we state them out loud or not we all have goals in life. What sets the achievers apart from the non-achievers is they have a written set of goals and that they work towards achieving them. That being said, it’s important to recognize that your sub-conscious can be given powerful suggestions to overcome any blocks to achieving your goals and thereby ensure your success. — Goal Setting
One of my goals is to share simple methods I use to improve my health, reduce stress and to control pain (aromatherapy, herbal medicine, massage, meditation). Normally I resist making New Year resolutions, because I’m afraid I will fail to achieve them. Last year I set the goal of publishing a dozen articles in 2011 on the subjects I opened this post with.
I surpassed my goal!
- January 2, 2011 Aromatherapy is alternative medicine
- January 4, 2011 Bach Flower Remedies For You
- February 16, 2011 Lightening Up for SAD
- February 20, 2011 Coping with Arthritis
- March 28, 2011 Eat Healthy and Enjoy Life
- April 19, 2011 Forbidden Foods for Fibromyalgia
May 8, 2011 It’s Broken: Stress Fracture
- July 28, 2011 Animal Companionship and Stress Reduction
- September 3, 2011 8 Fibromylagia Therapies
- September 19, 2011 Golden Apples Guided Meditation for Children
- October 14, 2011 Learning One Minute Meditation
- October 16, 2011 Hand and Wrist Exercises for Bloggers
- November 2, 2011 Birdsong: Five Minute Nature Meditation
Life lesson: Change happens a step at a time and it’s important to celebrate the small steps along the way to achieving goals.
Related post: Motivation: Three Elements and Seven Rules
Are you reluctant to set health and wellness goals because you are afraid you will fail to reach them?
Did you set any health and wellness goals in 2011? If so, did you achieve them?
Do you intend to set health and wellness goals for 2012?