According to an Oxford economist, marriage and cohabiting rates in developed countries can be linked to attitudes towards the roles of men and women, and views on who is responsible for doing the housework and looking after the children. Both men and women have shown they are more likely to want a live-in relationship with the opposite sex if they think their partner will do a share of the housework and childcare duties. – Men Who Do The Housework Are More Likely To Get The Girl
We all hear gender based cliches daily:
Men want sex; women want romance;
Men are from mars; women are from venus.
Gender based cliches generalizations and stereotyping
These gender based cliches, generalizations and stereotyping always fall apart under scrutiny. On one hand, there are men who are very romantic and there are also women who are too. On the other, there are also women and men who are not very romantic at all.
The men are from mars and women are from venus hype is tripe. It’s used to sell a vast array of both related and unrelated products, services and fuel online dating sites and relationship based blogs. We would be foolish not to observe that many growth industries rely upon the faulty foundation of advertising of gender based sensationalized cliches, stereotypes and generalizations in order to fuel their markets, obtain new customers, and maintain their existing customers’ brand loyalty.
Men and women are both from earth and they both need and want the same things in long term relationships. Men and women have far more in common than they do differences. However, those selling products and services and their customers dwell on the differences, and what we fail to recognize is that when we buy into stereotyping we are buying into dehumanizing each other.
There are no characteristics that are innately female so men ought to stop making assumptions about individual women based on what they think is their knowledge of “how women think” or “what women want”. Likewise there are any characteristics that are innately male, and women ought to stop making assumptions about individual men based on cliche’s, stereotyping and generalizations. They are not accurate so why do we pretend that they are?
I can guarantee that you will dump all cultural “baggage” when you enter into the back country and bushlands where your survival is of paramount concern and where co-operation is required. In the back country male – female relationships become more genuinely “human” and that all that sensationalized sexual claptrap disappears from your mind and speech. In the bush we are not defined by labels and cultural expectations and other societal BS, and when we are stripped of social conditioning what we discover that there is very little difference between our needs and desires.
What do earthlings want?
(1) Earthlings are seeking a faithful partner whom they can trust. They want a partner they can honestly share with and be open with ie. one who respects them. They are seeking a partner they can trust with their hearts, plans and schemes, hopes and dreams.
(2) Earthlings want to make a home a raise a family with a loving partner. Male earthlings are seeking a partner who is feminine and loving because deep down the qualities that make a woman a great partner and mother are an attraction in and of themselves. Female earthlings are seeking a partner who is masculine and loving because deep down the qualities that make a man a great partner and father are an attraction in and of themselves.
(4) Earthlings are visual and they want a partner who takes pride in his or appearance and her fitness level, without becoming obsessed with dieting and working out.
(5) Earthlings view their partnerships as support systems. They are looking for a partner who is strong and capable of providing them with encouragement and support. Earthlings who are are quick to criticize behavior, career and friends, and who try to change them are not on the appealing list.
(6) Likewise earthlings don’t go for high maintenance drama queens or kings. They don’t like angry partners who shout, nor are they attracted to bawl babies or to clinging vines. They want a partner who they can easily talk to and who is capable of discussing things without becoming overly emotional.
(7) Earthlings appreciate a challenging partner, someone who keeps them on their toes intellectually. But they also want to have a partner they can feel relaxed and happy with. They are looking for a partner who is clear thinking and has a good sense of humor; one who is enjoyable to be with.